When makeup has expired, the color can change and go on blotchy. Even worse than that, it can harbor all sorts of bacteria that you don’t want near your face. As a general rule of thumb, toss mascaras and eyeliners after Continue Reading →
Tag Archives | sunscreen
Love the benefits of Neocutis Journee Day Cream, but want a thicker more luxurious texture? We have your answer!
Journee RICHE Bio-restorative Day Balm Broad-spectrum SPF 30 is a luxuriously moisturizing beauty balm that provides both UVA/UVB protection as well as daily anti-aging benefits. This multi-tasking daily skin cream combines PSP technology with a wild yam extract, anti-oxidants and broad spectrum sun protection in an elegant formulation to help revitalize aging skin and guard against sun damage.
Rejuvenate, hydrate, protect, nourish and revitalize skin’s appearance; all in just one product! Shop NEW Neocutis Journee RICHE Day Balm at SkinMedix now!
Protect your peepers with the gentle, 100% mineral base SkinCeuticals Physical Eye UV Defense SPF 50. The mousse-like formula goes on smoothly and doesn’t run for the best in UV protection without irritating eyes. Lightly tinted to enhance skintone when used alone or can be used to create an optimal makeup base.
2. Some areas need more sunscreen. The areas where the rims of your sunglasses hit your checks are particularly prone to sunburn because the sunglasses reflect light. So are the highest points on your face (your cheekbones and nose). Your nose is especially vulnerable and one of the most common areas for nonmelanoma skin cancers. Sunscreens also breakdown fastest on oily skin, so reapply frequently.
3. Some SPFs are harder to wash off. Water and sweat-resistant sunscreens work because they adhere to the skin. However, this can also make it trickier to wash wash off without leaving behind a residue that can ultimately clog pores and lead to breakouts. Thoroughly cleanse skin by using a gentle scrub with micro beads, like NIA24 Physical Cleansing Scrub, and a cleansing brush, like Clarisonic Mia 2 Deep Pore Detoxifying brush.
4. Your sunscreen already works well, but it could work even better. Apply an antioxidant serum first to help neutralize free radicals that get through your sunscreen before they can damage your skin. We like SkinCeuticals Phloretin CF, Exuviance Antioxidant Perfect 10 Serum, and NeoStrata Antioxidant Defense Serum—or switch to a sunscreen that contains antioxidants like Topix Replenix Antioxidant Sunscreen Moisturizer SPF 50+.
1. Cleanse: If fine lines and wrinkles are your concern, start with a mild cleanser that also replenishes moisture with ingredients like glycerin, aloe, or panthenol. These plump up skin so the surface looks and feels smoother.
2. Exfoliate: Removing dead cells allows skin to absorb anti-aging ingredients and moisturizers more effectively. Try using pads soaked with an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) like glycolic acid to exfoliate and prompt collagen production.
- Glycolix Elite Treatment Pads 15 Percent
- Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Glow Pad
- Neostrata Skin Active Perfecting Peel
3. Treat: Apply a rentinol every other night for anti-aging benefits. You can alternate between the AHA and retinol, but don’t use them both on the same night or you risk inflammation that can trigger more wrinkling.
- SkinMedica Tri Retinol Complex
- PCA Skin Retinol Renewal pHaze 26
- Neova Matrix Active Retinol
4. Hydrate: Us moisturizes with collagen boosting peptides or antioxidants like green tea and vitamin C that prevent and repair damage to collagen and elastin, the “scaffolding” that keeps your skin plump, firm, and smooth.
- Revision Vitamin C 30% Lotion
- Topix Replenix Power of Three Cream
- Revaleskin Intense Recovery Treatment
5. Protect: Always add a broad-spectrum sunscreen in the morning for protection against the sun’s damaging rays.
- Revision Intellishade Tinted Moisturizer SPF 45 Original
- Elta MD UV Daily Broad-Spectrum SPF 40
- Glytone Sunscreen Lotion SPF 40
For greater luminosity, smoother texture and more hydrated skin appearance
Revaleskin HydraLift Complex with 1% CoffeeBerry Whole Fruit Extract is clinically proven to: boost moisture levels within the skin by 113%; help improve hydration and elasticity; and help guard against the primary contributor to premature aging, oxidative stress. Designed to attract moisture and keep it in the skin, Revaleskin HydraLift Complex is effective when used alone as a targeted hydrating anti-aging treatment but can also be used as an addition to your current skincare regimen.
- 1% CoffeeBerry Whole Fruit Extract – A naturally potent antioxidant
- Retinol – Skin revitalizer with antioxidant properties
- Tocopherol (Vitamin E) – Antioxidant with skin moisturizing properties
- Glycerin – Skin moisturizer
- Flowering Yarrow Extract – Softens skin to help it look and feel supple
- Alchemilla Vulgaris Extract – Helps reduce appearance of wrinkles
- Bearberry, Mulberry, & Pea Extracts – Skin brighteners
- Primula Veris Extract – Skin conditioner
- Shea Butter – Softens skin to help it look and feel supple
- Licorice Root Extract – Restores a healthy radiance by increasing skin’s luminosity
- Humectants – Attract water and retain skin hydration
For best results, apply evenly to clean face, neck and chest twice daily.
NATURAL DEFENSE BROAD SPECTRUM SPF 25 SUNSCREEN
For Broad Spectrum UVA and UVB SPF 25 protection
Revaleskin Natural Defense SPF 25 contains 0.1% CoffeeBerry Whole Fruit Extract – one of nature’s most potent antioxidants – in a 98.4% natural formulation, offering Broad Spectrum UVA and UVB SPF 25 protection. More than a sunscreen alone, Revaleskin Natural Defense SPF 25 it also helps to provide protection from free radicals, with hydrating and brightening benefits, and beautifully evens the complexion while concealing blemishes with a tinted, shine-free matte finish.
- 0.1% CoffeeBerry Whole Fruit Extract – A naturally potent antioxidant
- Micronized Titanium Dioxide – A broad spectrum non-chemical, sunscreen
- GlycerinSkin – Skin moisturizer
- Squalene (derived from olives) – Moisturizer and skin conditioning agent
- Sorbitan Sesquioleate (derived from corn) – Moisturizing and skin conditioning agent
- Cetyl Ricinoleate (from castor beans) – Emollient, skin conditioner and protectant
- Lecithin (phospholipid) – Moisturizing and soothing agent
- Beeswax (Cera Alba) – Emollient (softens and smoothes skin), skin conditioner
Apply using a rolling, patting motion until product blends evenly on the skin prior to sun exposure. Re-apply as needed or after swimming, towel drying, perspiring heavily or washing.
Have you tried NEW Revaleskin Hydralift Complex and Natural Defense SPF 25 yet?
When it comes to fighting the damaging effects of the sun’s UV rays, you know sunscreen is a must. But what else can you do to get the most from your sunscreen? Keep reading to learn how to make your sunscreen even more effective.
1. Use an ounce (picture a full shot glass) to cover your entire body at least 30 min before sun exposure.
2. Reapply every two hours and after swimming. Our SPF sample sizes are great on the go! Throw a couple in your pocket to reapply while on a run or walk on the beach.
3. Don’t be deceived by clouds—or cold weather. Clouds only filter 20 percent of the sun’s UV rays which means that 80 percent are still penetrating the skin. No matter what is looks like outside, you have to protect your skin properly.
4. Set your sunscreen with mineral makeup or powder spf, like iS Clinical SPF 20 Powder Sunscreen. Think of it like an insurance policy against skin damage!
Did you know just one serious sunburn can increase your skin cancer risk by as much as 50 percent? Prevention starts now! Shop the full list of sun protection products available at SkinMedix here.
Happy Birthday, Reese Witherspoon! Our favorite Southern Belle starlet turns 37 today and she has been glowing as bright as the spotlight does on an A-list celebrity. The Legally Blonde star is modest enough to give credit for her gorgeous baby skin to great genes, but we all know that there is more to looking good! So, just how does she maintain her fresh, young look through all that work? According to Reese, it all comes down to sun protection. Reese wears a sun hat anytime she is out in the sun or on the beach an never leaves home without Continue Reading →
Introducing our newest arrival—Cool-It Caddy cosmetic coolers by Vinci Designs. These ‘cool’ stylish bags have a fully insulated interior and integrated coolant system that will keep your favorite lip lusters, sunscreens, snacks, medications and make-up chilled even in the hottest of places. It’s small enough to fit into purses, golf and gym bags, backpacks, beach totes, etc., so you your items will stay fresh and cool, no matter what the score–or the temperature!
The Cool-It Caddy concept came about when founder, Deborah Vinci, was golfing in the summer heat and went to re-apply her protective lip balm only to have a large chunk come off onto her lips. Deborah was fed up with dealing with melted lip balm, lipstick, and make-up during her game and decided to find a solution. Shortly after, her very cool, yet haute line of products was born—keeping make-up from melting in the hot summer sun, yet fashionable and fun.
How does Cool-It Caddy work? Just pop your Cool-it Caddy into a freezer until frozen. Next step? Go play…On the course. On the boat. On the go. Courtside. Beachside. Poolside…Cool-it Caddy are always chillin’ by your side!
Shop Cool-It Caddy at SkinMedix now and keep your costly beauty or health care products protected from that inevitable heat meltdown–and never loose another lipstick to the smoldering hot sun again!
Green tea is especially known for its high levels of antioxidants including vitamins such as vitamin C and polyphenols such as epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) that scientists at the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow have used to create an injectable therapy. When administered into the cells of mice that had skin cancer, 40% of tumors vanished and another 30% shrank.
In another study, a group of Spanish and Italian researchers have discovered that strawberry extract added to skin cell cultures acts as a protector against ultraviolet radiation as well reducing damage to DNA. Then, the researchers exposed those skin cell cultures to ultraviolet light that is equivalent to 90 minutes of mid-day sun in the summertime. The study found that adding the strawberry extract, especially at the highest dose, to the skin cell cultures seemed to help decrease DNA damage and help to preserve the cells’ survival, compared to cells treated with a placebo.
It’s important to note that the findings in these studies are only in skin cell cultures and mice, and not in actual humans. More research is needed to tell if strawberries and green tea will actually be viable as a skin protectant (and in what form).
But in the meantime, here’s a full list of sun protection products available on SkinMedix.com!