1. Sweat everyday. Unfortunately, sweating has gotten a bad reputation. Sweating does not cause acne. In fact, sweating is actually your body’s way of helping to keep your skin clean. Breaking a sweat once a day will make your skin glow, as exercise improves your circulation and oxygen levels and will result in a gorgeous complexion.
2. Disinfect your cellphone. According to recent studies, that smartphone you can’t keep your hands off of can have 18 times more harmful bacteria, including Staph, E.Coli and Salmonella, than a public toilet handle. All those germs land right on your cheek and jawline every time you chat away, causing pimples and irritation. To keep your phone (and face) bacteria-free, wipe it down with an antibacterial wipe once a day.
3. Use a product with Vitamin C. Aging, sun exposure and hormonal changes can lead to dark spots and hyperpigmentation. To help minimize uneven coloration try a serum that contains Vitamin C, which will help even out your skin tone. We recommend PCA Skin C-Strength 20%, Obagi Professional-C Serum 20%, and GloTherapeutics Ultra 15% Vitamin C.
4. Manage stress. Uncontrolled stress can make your skin more sensitive and trigger acne breakouts and other skin problems. To encourage healthy skin — and a healthy state of mind — take steps to manage your stress. Set reasonable limits, scale back your to-do list and make time to do the things you enjoy. The results might be more dramatic than you expect.
5. Drink more water. Staying hydrated can clear up your skin and people often report a healthy glow after drinking water. It won’t happen overnight, of course, but just a week of drinking a healthy amount of water can have good effects on your skin.
6. Don’t over-exfoliate: Keep in mind that the purpose of exfoliating is to remove skin cells that are dead. You shouldn’t have to scrub too hard or too often to make that happen. If you do, you’re likely to take off healthy cells, too, which might leave your skin looking red and feeling sore. If you’ve never used a Clarisonic, you’re missing out. It deeply cleanses pores without harsh chemicals or abrasion. It also helps products better absorb into the skin. Dermatologists, celebrities and beauty guru’s all rave about the Clarisonic, so you know it’s good!
7. Start using retinol. Retinol has decades of clinical data to support its efficacy, helps skin cell turnover, and boosts collagen production to keep skin firm and youthful. It also has great anti-inflammatory effects, which is why it’s as effective at treating acne as it is at treating wrinkles and other signs of aging. We like SkinCeuticals Retinol 0.5 30ml, Jan Marini Retinol Plus, and DermaQuest Retinol Youth Serum.
8. Be patient with your products. We’re all in a hurry to see results, but putting on the brakes can ensure that the results you get are positive. When you’re starting a new product, use it every other day, and never try a few new products at one time. Instead, introduce one new product every three to four days. You be less likely to experience dryness, irritation, and burning, and if you do, you’ll know right away who the culprit is. Give any new product at least 12 weeks (and up to 6 months) to see if it’s really improving your skin before deciding it isn’t right for you.